Saturday, February 5, 2011

National Security

“We do not usually know how to distinguish between what is essential and what is secondary. We spend our lives running about here and there after pleasures that are forever eluding us and leaving us unsatisfied. We try to be happy come what may, without wondering whether we are causing anyone else to suffer in the process. We are prepared to do anything to amass and defend our possessions, which are neither lasting nor true sources of happiness.”Dalai Lama

When I was listening to the State of the Union address and President Obama mentioned celebrating the winner of the science fair, I thought about the science and technology of medicine, communications, clean energy and the environment. I never thought about competition around weaponry and national defense.  Did you?

“Security”, somehow I always associate this word with safety and comfort.  But, it is difficult to make any positive association with the word once it is written after national. It seems there are some truly insane weapons around the world. The recent lecture by Howard Kleinberg at UNCW revealed an arsenal of sophisticated nuclear weapons that left me feeling fragile and nauseous. The list of weaponry was powerful and extensive, covering short range, intercontinental, submarine launch able, multi-warhead, undetectable and all capable of human destruction on a massive scale. To sum it up, the current arsenal consists of very sophisticated weapons that are undetectable, travel four times the speed of sound and leave victims with essentially no time to react.  I thought, I must hurry home to my children.  And I wondered, would the recently discovered solar system be our Utopia?

When I asked Mr. Kleinberg if he was able to sleep, his response was, “yes". His awareness of the US military defense system gives him comfort. According to Mr. Kleinberg, the current defensive weapons empower the United States with the ability to eliminate threats and provide Americans safety. I believe his philosophy is to keep abreast of weapons technology by continuing to research and create extremely sophisticated anti weaponry (weapons) to keep up with and overpower our global neighbors.

Some of the future programs mentioned include, the Ballistic Missile Defense System, boost phase advancement, the Air Launched Hit to Kill (ALHTK) long range anti-missile that destroys an attack missile in the Boost phase, the Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) which is an emerging optimal method to disengage missiles in the boost phase and the Multiple Kill Vehicles (MKV). Also mentioned was a  non-missile defense tactic under research that include the airborne laser test bed (ALTB) and Solid State Lasers which generates a laser to destroy weapons.

When I inquired whether research and progress was working toward eliminating existing weapons, I was given a quick lesson on the politics of defense and what I understand to be a sort of fear based ethics of fighting. As I ingest this foreign subject, it all feels pretty crazy. I suppose somewhere, I should feel grateful, but it is difficult to get my head around a reality so contradicting to a united world. I compare it to when it is suggested we pray for those “fighting for peace”. What nonsense.  Not prayer, fighting for peace. An oxymoron. Right? But, like I previously posted, I am spoiled with comforts and luxuries and therefore I am not willing to die for a cause. If I were suffering, I am sure I would react similar to the people in Cairo. My heart goes out to them. 

So, Mr. Kleinberg might say that I am in favor of the national defense program. Right? I don't know. I suppose I am just glad, fortunate and spoiled, that I almost never think about it.

Are we motivated by fear or love? I guess it is the responsibility of people who are motivated by love to spread it. I suppose our individual power lies in our ability to do so. You know, spread goodness to one another and reach out to those who suffer. I think we can find comfort in our work when we support others in recognizing the universals of culture and celebrating diversity. I am looking into ways to get young people excited about helping those less fortunate and practice giving and sharing.  I embrace the responsibility of introducing students to humanitarian efforts like, Pennies for Peace programs that build schools for impoverished Middle Eastern communities. I practice modeling behavior that is loving. I try to encourage children to develop friendships around the world. I need to do whatever I can to support a peaceful future.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn - I agree with how puzzling this issue is. It seems like our thoughts around weapons and defense has not changed since the end of the cold war. We are in different times, and I think there is a huge waste of money in defense spending - and everybody in DC knows it. It's a very difficult issue to come out and speak against it - but WE NEED TO! All I ever hear is that we need to Cut our spending, why not take a long, deep look into defense spending! Cheers - love the blog! - Chris Kuhn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment on the issues around defense spending. There is a fear that if the government cuts spending, the country will become vulnerable; our freedom and the privileges we have become accustomed to as American's will be threatened. Do you think if the United States were not at the forefront of technological weapons advancement (the most advanced nuclear 'defense' weapons) we would fall victim to a military takeover?

    ReplyDelete