Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Egypt

You say you want a revolution; my heart goes out to you. --The protesting, the revolt, the transformation, the crisis, the situation, the unrest, the turmoil-- .  Language is powerful. What we communicate is powerful. We are watching the efforts of our neighbors and we are communicating quickly and effectively, brother to brother, city to city, country to country. The advancement of technology and globalization is truly impacting our world and we are witnessing the effects on a global scale.

Twenty six year old Mohammed Bouazizi became Tunisia’s revolutionary after his vegetable cart was confiscated by local police. As a result of this final act of humiliation and oppression, Mohammed Bouazizi, desperately distraught and defeated, set himself on fire outside the provincial headquarters. Within ten days of his death, through Facebook, Twitter, e-mail and cell phones, Tunisians organized protests that over ruled a twenty year dictator. The people of Tunisia won.

The Egyptians currently suffering the same injustice and denial of human rights; watched the people’s road to victory and became very excited as did those in the neighboring countries of Jordan and Yemen. A young Egyptian and Google Marketing Executive, created a Facebook page titled “We are all Khalid Said”, and began networking that supported a call to end injustice.  Technology was used to very quickly communicate, educate, inspire and make public the voice of hope. (THIS IS REALLY BIG!)  

I remember reading, “The World is Flat”, (Well, at least chapter two.) and feeling so excited about Thomas Friedman’s synopsis of the technological advancements of computers, fiber optic cable, browsers and wireless communication.  He discussed how we do not know the impact. At the time I was taking my first economics course and so my thoughts were all about industry, consumption of natural resources and the importance of bequest value and protecting the planet. I thought about the job market, outsourcing and the elimination of the middle class. I hadn’t the foresight of revolution and the wonderful things that unity can bring. Could it be we are getting closer to supporting global human rights?

The media loves to highlight violence, fear and “what is dark”. Currently, there seems to be plenty of missed opportunity to share about the camaraderie and unity of the people on the streets and throughout neighborhoods of Cairo. I wish to hear more about the Egyptians and Americans living in Cairo, sharing oranges and protecting one another's family and homes.  I loved reading of how protesters built a human chain to protect those in prayer. Could it be the positives of human nature and the desire to end social injustice will be the contagion of goodness that spreads? Could the army be protecting the protesters? Aren’t the soldiers also hearing the spontaneous discussions of liberty and democracy? What role will they take in the revolutionary culture that is developing? I forget how ends, “Lord of the Flies”. Who gets the conch and does the boy without glasses make it home? There were no girls on the island. There are women in Tahrir Square.

Yemen, Jordan, Tunisia, Sudan, Syria are in the process of a condensed transition. These countries are experiencing a political convulsion; a regime change from within. Some say this is a fourth wave of democratization. But it is argued that although there is much potential, the change will not result in democracy.  Protesters and many supporters worldwide are enthusiastic for a pro democratic movement, but according to some there is not much favorable evidence. Currently there is no clear indication that the governments that move into power will be democratic. And history shows that the events in Egypt and throughout the regional countries, is the typical process of changing leadership. It is the norm that an uprising and or an assassination induces political transition. What is different is how we are watching and the efficiency by which we are communicating. Thwap, tap, tap, tap, slide scroll tap tap, slap. Click, beep.

So what do you think? Are we seeing legitimate change or just change in leadership?

Well, in the Middle East, we don’t have a soviet equivalent to befriend. The countries are governments that are already our allies, or are at least recognizing us as global neighbors. The new governments, or changed leadership that result from the transformation may hate us. They may impede on our battleships moving through the Suez Canal. Huh? When Eastern Europe began to fall the United States rushed in with money to try to help build the economy and support new governments. There was a proactive investment in the process of transition. We are not the people of Egypt. But, can we show support by continuing to give money to Egypt? The U.S. can stop giving money to the Egyptian military (tear gas and tanks) and give it to select Egyptian organizations that support healing and development of a governing system that gives voice to the people. Maybe we could invest in education and economic opportunity. How about a train?

I see a regionally trans-formative movement. I desire a globally transformed World. I hold thoughts of healing, justice and love for humanity. How about you? How are you discussing Egypt? --The protest, the revolt, the uprising, the transformation, the crisis, the situation, the unrest, the turmoil--. Which words do you use?

“We stand together”… with you.  

4 comments:

  1. I dream of a world of international alliance. I believe we are all somehow connected and to see that truly come to fruition would be amazing. I think that eventually those who care and dedicate their lives to making a difference will outnumber the others... someday. I think we are headed there... someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to believe those who care and dedicate their lives to human rights, social justice and a loving world will soon outnumber those that don't. The level to which we are willing to sacrifice for the sake of others determines which side we land on. And sadly, I am on the wrong side, because although I pray for a peaceful world and the end of suffering, most of my efforts are used on benefiting my family and myself.

    My life is consumed with earning, providing and having the best. For those suffering, I do nothing so that my children never will. And there are no guarantees. Hm?

    I am very hopeful toward a more free Egypt. I hope the world keeps watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece was so eloquent I thought I'd share it - it's from a Dubai Drums newsletter.

    February 11, 2011 will be remembered forever as the date that the Egyptian people gained their right to freedom with dignity and respect.

    As a corporate coach in the business of empowering people and conducting leadership programs, I think we could all take a lesson from the team spirit that hundreds of thousands of people managed to conjure up and maintain for 18 days despite the challenges and against the odds.

    As well as being very passionate about unifying people through rhythm, I am equally as passionate about coaching and facilitating teams to reach their full potential. The Power of Values, Vision and Mission is incredibly important in any organization and if we look at the Egyptian Revolution it is clear to see that the people had a dream (vision) they knew what they were there for (mission) and they walked the talk of their belief (values) whilst holdin g onto a vision that many would have thought impossible. I would like to highlight just some of the values that were clearly lived in those 18 days: Respect, Dignity, Pride, Camaraderie, Collaboration, Support, Care, Love, Passion, Unity, Peace, Alignment, Determination, Aspiration, Community, Sharing, Commitment, Democracy, Empowerment,and above all Spirit! It proves beyond all doubt that when people have a unified vision, know their purpose, team up, align together, communicate effectively and live their values; they can make anything happen!

    I am so proud to have Egyptian children, family and friends. And I am so happy that my grandson Murad who is two and a half will grow up in Egypt with freedom.
    I have adapted Mary Frye's 1932 bereavement poem for all the brave Egyptian men and women (most of them below the age of 30) who gave their lives for freedom and democracy:

    Do not stand at my grave and weep;
    I am not there. I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow;
    I am the River Nile that flows.
    I am the sunlight on desert sands;
    I am the soft touch of a loved ones hand.
    I am there in the time of prayer,
    When believers ask for God’s grace and care;
    And in the quiet of the morning hush,
    And in the hustle of the noonday rush.
    I am present in the Egyptian heart,
    My memory lives, it never departs!
    And as the pyramids stand strong and tall,
    I was there with the regime fall.
    I was there with peace and love,
    And now I watch you from above.
    I am the stars that shine at night.
    I am the martyr of the freedom fight!
    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
    I am not there. I did not die.

    Rhythmic wishes to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above shared article was written by Julie-Ann in the February eleventh edition of Tribal Beat, The Dubai Drums Newsletter.

    ReplyDelete