Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Financial Crisis and Its Relative Insignificance To International Poverty

Are the financial crisis, recession, mortgage foreclosures from a false safety in the investment of real estate and the U.S. debt to China, the result of our desires for instant gratification and unwillingness to follow the rules of basic money management? Is get now and pay later, still the majority of American cultural philosophy? How about other developed countries? Do most people want what they want, right away and ignore the consequences of spoiled behaviors? It seems so many of us behave like the college student with their first credit card.

With the government focus on cutting spending and the recent bill that eliminates Wisconsin's collective bargaining rights, I thought about the republican philosophies which stem from the concepts of less government and a stronger power to the individual. This may sound good, but what it ends up becoming is an invitation to greed and selfish neglect of those in need. I began to think about alternatives, like a tax increase on gasoline. So I read and read and studied this topic as much as my schedule allowed. 

Some ideas I have heard and read sound best. Create an alternative currency that deflates the value of the US dollar, individuals start saving, export more than we import, spend government savings when in crisis and save when doing well. It’s what we were taught when we opened our first checkbook. Right?

So, rather than focus on the U.S. financial crisis, I have decided to reflect on global socio-economics, international issues of poverty and the use of technology for bottom-up economic development. 

In my early twenties I was interested in the bohemian lifestyle of the “La Vida” community of squatters that occupied a building on thirteenth street between Avenue A and Avenue B in Manhattan. In my delayed adolescence, I looked at this lifestyle as chosen and somehow, "cool". The magnitude of the world’s poverty issues had never once entered my thoughts. I was content with my stomp around Loisada and disinterested in the world beyond my own foot. The next video clip is from NY Times reporters, Simon Romero and Maria Eugenia Diaz. It puts, “La Vida” on the level of a penthouse. 



Here is a link to a beautiful slide show from another region of our world. I wonder how much it would cost for President Hugo Chaves to install solar panels on the roof of Venezuela's, “Tower of David”?


Of course how I receive information is always relative to my current state of emotion; still right now, this next link may be one of the top ten articles I have ever read. I offer you read it and check out what cell phones mean to the people living in our impoverished communities around the world.
 Connecting the Unconnected

Even in Tumsifu, Kenya, a community where cow poop is fuel, their use of cell phones reveals the important of staying connected. People may not have indoor plumbing, but they are using cell phones! Cell phones empower us with an abundance of knowledge, right at our fingertips, all day, every day.

I suppose I do put communication on the same level as running water. I rather die in the arms of a beloved than live a life time disconnected. Nokia is paying attention. Is anyone else?

According to the United Nations Human Settlements Program, at the current rates of migration, one-quarter of the earth’s population by 2020 will be living in slums. And with the increased rate of natural disasters, the numbers of those immune to this tragedy is decreasing. Where do you see yourself in 2020? Will you be in a possition to help others? Are you now?



5 comments:

  1. The majority of Americans have grown up to be self-indulgent, wanting the house with all of the extra rooms and the brand new car. It is ridiculous the way we are able to spend money that we don’t have.

    I was unfamiliar with the term “squatter” until reading your blog. It is alarming that the man in the video was a working man who really had no other choice. I read a few other articles about squatters living in NY and many of them were also working class that made too much for welfare, but not enough to pay bills. You’d think that with all of the unsightly, rundown places that are around (in many countries) that you’d be doing the government a favor by fixing up abandon buildings and helping out the homeless. It is ironic that the building in Venezuela was meant to be a symbol of an uprising business economy and now houses thousands of squatters. I was glad to hear that their government had not run them off yet.

    I am a big believer in, “inclusive capitalism”. How hard would it be to supply other countries with cell phones and solar panels (or the knowledge to create their own)? In America we get a new cell phone every year. I was ignorant to how useful a cell phone could be in under developed countries. I never would have thought a fisherman could increase his profit by 8%. What could the rest of the world do with other technologies that we have at our fingertips, take for granted, and profit from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your post inspired me to check out how to donate used cell phones.

    This web site has a zip code finder that locates the nearest cell phone collection sites. http://www.americancellphonedrive.org/donate-cell-phone-locations.cfm

    I share your ideas on abandoned buildings. I have always been interested in vacant spaces. Even as a teenager, I started to research squatters rights and back tax payoff real estate opportunities. Of course back then, my ideas for the space were pretty self absorbed. Still, I have always liked the idea of transforming space. Even today, I look at buildings and think how they would make an excellent cooperative art center, or children's after school recreational program.

    So much is wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole idea of being connected has a positive and negative side to it. As long as we use technology to better our lives and not just enhance it, then we'll be fine. Yes, this new generation of immediate gratification is out of control. I struggle with this and my kids on a daily basis. Related to regulation vs. free flowing/self-adjusting economic policy. Look where that got us from 2000-2008. It is going to take another few years to correct all these problems that WE created in the past decade! I''m very opinionated but am open to other people's perspectives etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to think that Venezuela has a decent amount of oil in the region with nothing to show for. The politics spoken of must have taken that money as well. Again, we see how fortunate we are to live in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian Allen,

    Thank you for the comment.

    Yes, we are fortunate.

    What happens to a persons heart and brain, when they acquire a position of power? Quadaffi certainly went insane. Can scientists develop a darkness sucker outer? Is anyone immune to corruption and greed? Is there a King Richard (Lionheart)out there currently?

    Check out this article written by David Harris
    Executive Director, AJC, and Senior Associate, St. Antony's College, Oxford University
    Posted: February 26, 2011 02:51 PM

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-harris/dear-president-chavez-pri_b_828500.html

    How is President Obama doing? Is he a good leader? Do you think his his heart is in the right place?

    ReplyDelete